Rising 150 feet from the flat plains near Pottawatomie Creek on the Anderson County side of the Franklin/Anderson line is a large hill. The first White settlers to the area called it Steamboat Mound because of its shape. It was later called Wadsworth Mound for an early settler who helped found the nearby and now ghost town of Mt. Gilead. Today, it is known as Peine Mound for the current owners of the land that includes the hill, but it most often appears as Wadsworth Mound in a historical context. Here, the mound is seen from the west on Allen Road.
As the story goes, in 1856, James Townsley owned a house at the southern base of the mound, and he invited the infamous John Brown to share his log cabin as they planned their strategy to protect Anderson County from the pro-slavers. It is said that it was from Townsley’s home that Brown planned the attack on Dutch Henry’s Crossing near present-day Lane, Kansas — an event that would later be known as the Pottawatomie Massacre.
Wadsworth Mound can be seen for miles and is easily accessible, just a few miles away from Greeley and the lovely church at Scipio. (Be sure to look at the map in satellite view.)
According the the Franklin County Historical Society, the Bakers settled in Pottawatomie Township in 1855 and built this stone house on the edge of Lane, Kansas.
This old stone house sits on the edge of the old town of Lane, Kansas, in a triangle of land outlined by Virgina Road (which turns into Kansas Avenue, the main road in Lane), First Street (which turns into Fourth Street in Lane) and the railroad tracks. The house is mentioned in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894. She and her husband, Almanzo, and their daughter, Rose, reached the town of Lane 118 years ago this month.
We reached Lane at 4 o’clock and had old Pet shod.The blacksmith came from Kentucky two years ago and looks just like the pictures of a Kentucky man. He has 130 acres of bottom land running down to Pottawatomie River, and a stone house as lage as any house in De Smet [South Dakota]. It is very handsome and perfectly finished. The house stands on Main Street in Lane and the land lies northwest from it. He is going back to Kentucky and wants to sell. Asks $4300 for shop, house and land. — August 17, 1894.
Originally called Shermanville for the pro-slavery brothers who founded the town, the settlement was renamed for the abolitionist James Lane after the Pottawatomie Massacre on May 24, 1856, during which several pro-slavery men were killed by John Brown‘s posse.